The Platino-Chrome by Carlos Barrantes
From his workshop in Perpignan, France, Carlos Barrantes is not just preserving ancient photographic techniques; he is reinventing them with the precision of a master jeweler. This third installment in our series dedicated to his craft immerses us in the world of Platinochromie, an innovative method that combines color digital printing with platinum-palladium printing, resulting in creations of remarkable depth and longevity. This film pays tribute to Barrantes' pursuit of excellence, skillfully blending modern technology with 19th-century printing processes, celebrating a craftsmanship that stands the test of time.
What you will find in this film
Carlos Barrantes' laboratory • Platinochromy, a demanding process • An alternative and historic printing process • The use of the printer in the creation of the countertype • Precise dosing of chemical components • Sensitising a sheet of paper with a brush • Insulating by contact under UV lamps
This content is for members only.
• RÉTROSPECTIVE, CARLOS BARRANTES, PHOTOGRAPHE ET TIREUR - Trabucaire ed. ; 2014
• DICTIONNAIRE DES PHOTOGRAPHES ESPAGNOLS DU XIX AU XXIEME SIÈCLE - La Fabrica ; 2014
• UN JOUR PARTONS - Mai-Photographies ; 2014
• PAR DELÀ L’HORIZON - Lunwerg Editores ; 2009 ; edition in spanish
• MOUVEMENT - Fundació Pilar i Joan Miró a Mallorca ; 1999 ; edition in spanish
Site of Carlos Barrantes - Artist
Site of Carlos Barrantes - Artisan
Interview with Carlos Barrantes - Galerie-Photo Article